Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Race Report: Hartford Riverfront Scramble 2, July 31, 2014

Last Thursday was the 2nd in a series of three races, called the Riverfront Scrambles, put on by the Hartford Marathon Foundation.  These races are always fun.   The course isn't posted pre-race, they tell you where to go when you get there.  Sometimes it is over bridges, sometimes it is through the woods.  Its not a race to expect to PR since they are always fairly challenging.   Micah, Michy, Laurel, and I signed up for the entire series of races at the beginning of the summer.  If you complete all three you get a fun medal.  I love the bling!

My cheeseball likes coming to races because he always charms his way into snacks!

Pre-Race:  I was very conscious of drinking plenty of water during the day.  I didn't want to feel dehydrated and I have a tendency to forget to drink enough as I run around my day.  Michelle, Micah, and I took the kiddos and met up with Ian at Laurel's house and headed to the race together.   Packet Pickup was quick and easy, we gathered up our bibs and tshirts and looked around for the start and finish lines.  The start was up on a bridge- so this course was going to be running over the CT river twice. That meant stairs, and some rocky bits.  We hit the porta-potties and headed to the start line.

Race:  I hung out towards the back of the pack chatting.  I didn't hear them make any pre-race announcements, all of a sudden we we off!  Eeek! I had meant to get a little closer to the front.  So I darted off, trying to get ahead as much as I could in the crowd.  After the bridge is a narrow ramp back down into the park, and it was quite a bottle-neck.  I was forced to walk due to the crowd.  I kept trying my best to run around people but it wasn't until probably a half mile in that I was really able to just run comfortably at my own pace.  I was stuck behind people or sprinting around them.  The atmosphere was laid back and fun though.  There was a long stretch on a nicely paved park path and I was able to get into a nice groove.  At about the halfway point we came up to another bridge- which meant 5 or 6 flights of stairs.  I started out jogging up each step, but they were awkwardly short so I ended up walking up them two at a time which was actually quicker.  Then it was a windy run across the bridge to the set of stairs down.  I took the down steps one at a time.  Once the stairs were done it was just a run back to Riverfront Plaza.  Part of this meant running under an overpass which was hilly and full of rocks- not the most comfortable with my five-fingers on!

I saw the finish line and picked up the pace.  I crossed the line at 30:01!  Just barely over 30 mins, but with those stairs, I was quite happy with that time!

Post Race: I met up with Ian and the kiddos at the finish and drank a bottle of water.  Then I checked out the results tent.  30:01 and 2nd place Athena! Woot!

I then backtracked my way along the course to cheer Michy on until she reached the finish line.  She was nervous before the race started but she did great.

Group shot!

After we had all finished we got our Harpoon beer and Moe's burritos!  The post race party here is always fun, good fun and yummy beer.  We stuck around for the awards and I collected my 2nd place division award (an insulated water bottle).
Harpoon IPA, nom nom nom

2nd place Athena!


Hooray for another great HMF race!  Up next: The Niantic Bay Triathlon.


No comments:

Post a Comment